Thursday, January 7, 2010

Here goes!

I have signed up for my first reading challenge and chose an easy one to start me off...I say easy in that this genre is always a popular choice for me when I'm at the library so I don't think I will have trouble reading 12 this year but will be good to practice writing reviews on a familiar book style.
So here goes with a little review of the book I finished yesterday.....
Title : The Neighbour
Author : Lisa Gardner
Genre: Thriller/Suspense

Do you really know your neighbour? What lurks behind closed doors and polite smiles?

"It was a case guaranteed to spark a media feeding frenzy - a yound mother, blonde and pretty, disappears without trace from her South Boston home, leaving behind her four year old daughter as the only witness, and her handsome, secretive husband as the prime suspect.
Is the perfect husband trying to hide his guilt - or just trying to hide?"
On the whole I enjoyed this book and for anyone who loves a good mystery I would recommend it for a fast paced read. The characters are interesting and intriguing and each have stories to tell which unfold bit by bit keeping you curious and wanting more.
I liked the fact that you were drawn into not only the lives of the good guys, but also the 'not so good' guys. The suspense builds and pulls you along to the unexpected conclusion. However I am not so sure I was satisfied with the end, whilst I empathised with why the characters did what they did, I felt the idea that they could have possibly carried out such a thing was a little far fetched and brushed over.....but hey, don't let that spoil what is a cracking good thriller!
I have not read anything by Lisa Gardner before and will be looking for more of her titles on the library shelves next time I visit.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Good review Monique - I have this one on my reservations at local library - am looking forward to reading it now. I have read most of Lisa Gardner and liked most too. Keep up the good work! Cheers from Brisbane Australia

Unknown said...

Hi Monique - welcome to the Thriller & Suspense challenge. I like Lisa Gardner, but I've only read a couple, this one sounds good too! Thanks for the review :)

Cat said...

Nice review! I think I'll have to move this one up the queue.

Anonymous said...

Hey hey Monique! Thanks so much for following me - your page is so fricken cute! I hope you don't mind if I visit more often :)

-Aimee
http://myflutteringheart.blogspot.com

 
design by suckmylolly.com