Thursday, January 28, 2010

Some books stick with you...


A truly great book should be read in youth,again in maturity and once more in old age,as a fine building should be seen by morning light,at noon and by moonlight. ~ Robertson Davies ~
I was pleased to come across this challenge because just recently with my new surge in reading I've been thinking I would like to re-read some of those books that 'stick with you'.
I have been enjoying many past favourites with the boys already...The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, Enid Blyton's The Magic Faraway Tree series and The Secret Seven, Spike Milligan's Bad Jelly the Witch, The Wind in the Willows and of course all the wonderful stories of Mr Roald Dahl
So I guess that means I am in the 'Maturity' phase of the above quote lol!! I have started a list to choose from and as we have a copy of The Outsider in the house I will start with that.
Rebecca - Daphne Du Murier
A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
The Scarlett Pimpernel - Emmuska Orczy
Greenstone - Sylvia Ashton Warner
The Phantom Tollbooth - Norton Juster
Peril at End House - Agatha Christie
Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
Dune - Frank Herbert
The Outsiders - SE Hinton
The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling
Pounamu Pounamu - Witi Ihimaera
Little Woman - Louisa May Alcott
The Power of One - Bryce Courtenay

2 comments:

Aarti said...

Great stories! I also hope to re-read A Tale of Two Cities. And I want to read The Power of One for the first time some day- I love that movie!

Stephanie said...

That is a beautiful quote! I love your list. I want to re-read A Tale of Two Cities and The Secret Garden

 
design by suckmylolly.com