Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A new year...

...and a new resolution to actually write down, find and read the many wonderful books I see in book reviews or I hear about from friends and then promptly forget the names or authors the minute I set foot in the library!

I have three young boys so in the over the past 8 years library time was mostly spent helping them find books and then I have a quick dash down to the 'grown-up' section to grab the first thing I see!

But...no longer (thanks to Mum visiting over Christmas :-)) I shall be Mrs organised, I have actually begun a list and discovered I can browse for, request and hold books from the library online...how easy is that! Yesterday I walked into the library with boys in tow, chose their books and by the time I got to the counter the lovely library lady had the book I requested a few days prior ready and waiting for me to check it out! Yay!!

I began my newfound literary quest by bringing home 'The Book of Negroes' (Someone will know my Name)by Lawrence Hill. I read it in 2 days flat...hurrah for summer holidays with boys splashing in the pool while I supervise with a book heh, heh!! Now I do not know how to write a good book review...yet...maybe after I'ver perused many more book blogs I will give a go but for now all I will say is that this book really touches the human spirit and the words just flowed off the page for me...thanks Mum for recommending this one.

Currently enjoying a page turning thriller called The Neighbour by Lisa Gardner, will have to look out for more of hers.

and waiting in the wings is The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Welcome to the HUGE world of book blogging! I hopped on over from Bibliophile by the Sea (she's great -- you picked a good blog to follow). I'm also glad you know about Shelfari -- I love that site. I so wished there were bookclubs, blogs, and Amazon when I was a young mother to help with the selection process.

I've read 4 of your books listed and loved The Book Thief. The Help is on my bookclub list this year. Happy Reading!

Stephanie said...

I followed you over here from Cat's blog. I love ... LOVE your blog title!

 
design by suckmylolly.com